Friday, September 10, 2010

Chapter 15: Kitchen Renovation

So this was probably the last major hurdle with the kitchen renovation. Painting. In my head I thought that the color we picked out for our bedroom – Glidden’s Barely Jade – would look great in the kitchen. However, after the granite got installed I realized that was totally not going to be the case. Our granite is so pretty that I really didn’t want a paint color to overshadow it. And even though Barely Jade is a soft shade of green/blue/gray, there are not colors like that in the granite to make it work as a good accent.

So it looks like we would have to go with a neutral color again. I’m starting to get concerned that I have a slight addiction to the color beige because I’ve pretty much covered most of the house in Glidden’s Water Chestnut, Antique Beige and Smooth Stone. Is there therapy for this? But as my mom and Keith pointed out, you can never go wrong with beige and it will allow me the creativity to change the room with décor whenever the mood strikes without the hassle of having to change the wall color. (Those two are so smart!)

So we tested Smooth Stone and Antique Beige on the walls before making a decision. Keith was rooting for Antique Beige because somehow we managed to have 1.5 gallons of this paint left over after we painted the hallways this shade. I was rooting for Smooth Stone because our dining room is this color and I thought it would be nice if the two rooms had some consistency. Plus, I was kind of envisioning the Antique Beige in our sunroom. But, I was not the winner in this situation. The Smooth Stone didn’t work with the granite either, but Antique Beige did.

I thought painting this room was going to be a huge pain because of having to tape all the cabinets and countertop, but it actually went really smoothly.


I will admit that Antique Beige looks better in person - these photos don't do it justice. Plus we still need to paint the trim with Glidden’s Dove White to make it pop. That will come soon though.

I really liked how it turned out. Light and refreshing like the rest of the house…or my vision for the rest of the house because we aren’t quite there yet. Lol

So while the walls are now painted, I don’t think you’ll get the full effect until after we install and paint the chair rail and floor trim, purchase the bar stools and assemble the décor on the walls and counters. Oh – and I’m still waiting on my pendant light to arrive for above the island. It’s on back order, but should arrive next week and I can’t wait!!!! And I did purchase some fun glass jars at Garden Ridge to store my flour and sugars. I love them too! There are a few other ideas I have for the counters and open shelf, but I just haven’t found what I’m looking for yet.


I’ll post new photos as we continue to make updates. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment